Project Wonderful Sponser

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Chapter 3: The Saintly Sirens

New? Click here to read Chapter 1.

Luke:  

My life flashed before my eyes. Yeah, I’m a cliché like that.   What else was I going to do, pee myself?  Well, it wasn’t exactly my life that flashed before my eyes.  But I did see an image in my mind, the image of my mother.  She was watching jeopardy and yelling at the television like she always did.  A nurse entered the room with her pills.  My mom said something about the bunnies and the nurse just smiled like she always did.  Mom had been seeing things for years.

“OH GOD!”  Larry screamed.  Glass flew everywhere; my spine hardly survived the impact.  I couldn’t see; a cloud of smoke, dust, and steam was everywhere.  I don’t know what happened, but I had to get out of the car.  I fumbled for my belt and reached up front. It should have been Larry, the first one I reached for, but it wasn’t.  I struggled to free Cartouche first. Larry was in a car after all, Larry was in his element.

I made my way out of the car, dragging Cartouche.  She wasn’t moving. Larry’s door opened and he spilled out, coughing for air. My eyes and lungs burned.  Larry’s head bled profusely, but in his hand he held a flare gun.  He looked up to the sky and fired.  We could only see the shadows of the assailants as they made their way to us.  Cartouche opened her eyes.

“Run …” she whispered.  I prepared to move when Larry darted a glance in my direction.

“I’ll work on the car; you protect our friend.”

“Let’s just leave her here!  They probably want her, not us!”

“Luke,” Larry growled, “Stop being a spine-less bastard!”

Take cover you idiots!” Cartouche howled. Larry pushed me out of the way.  Cartouche sprung to her feet; she had great reflexes.  Chunks of rock smacked into my legs and arms; Cartouche smashed a boulder that was flying toward us.  Larry, though bleeding from the head, scampered over to his car.  The wind picked up, dust clouding our vision.

“I need to breathe,” I thought, but if I opened my mouth I’d be asphyxiated from the dust storm around us.  Cartouche grabbed me, picked me up and thrust me into the car.  Larry, covered in dirt, pressed his hand on the dashboard.

“COME ON!”  He screamed.  Larry didn’t lose his cool often.  We were doomed.  The wind around the car howled, but something faint grew in volume.  The engine revved.  “Now how the hell do we get out of this sink hole?”

“Elementals,” Cartouche muttered, “they’re just sentinels, but the rest of the Elite will be here in a matter of minutes.  We have to get out of this hole and evacuate before it’s too late.”

“WHO IS THE ELITE?” I screamed in exasperation.  Cartouche just stared at me.

“You’re Luke Marconi right?”

“Why the hell does that matter?”

“Has your mother ever mentioned the ‘bunnies’?”  Cartouche looked at me.  I swallowed hard and tried to control my breathing.  It wasn’t every day a stranger tells you about the thing your mother has been raving about for over a decade.  Larry was trying to pull the car out of the rubble.  Cartouche sat in silence for a moment then looked at me with her piercing blue eyes.  I shifted in my seat; damn she was unsettling.  My discomfort was cut short by a sound piercing through the howl of the wind.

“Elevator music…” Larry said, closing his eyes.

“It’s not them … it’s …” I breathed.

“BOOM BOX BETTY!”  Larry slammed his hand down onto the horn.  Suddenly the dust cleared.  The ground shook.  Cartouche jumped out of the car and motioned for us to follow suit.  The dust had settled outside and at last we could see what was happening. Loud elevator music emanated from nowhere, and in front of us were two women who squared off against a man and a woman.  We knew our allies immediately; Boom Box Betty was a forty-something year old woman clad in out-of-date punk clothing.

The ground trembled beneath our feet, forming crevices.  The man pairing against Boom Box fell to his knees, holding his head and screaming from the pain. The companion, the woman, was still willing the Earth to shake and shift.  Boom Box’s partner, a woman who was dressed casually, rushed forward and punched our mutual enemy in the face. Boom Box turned to Larry and called out; we knew her voice would carry perfectly.

“Yo! Mind lending us a hand?”  Betty grinned broadly.  I gestured to myself in confusion.  Betty groaned. Cartouche, however, was already scrambling out of the sink hole.  She was back on the surface and delivering the final blow to our assailants.  There I was, totally useless, as the others finished up the battle.  Rope was tossed down and Larry and I made our way out of the sink hole.  We stood eye to eye with our rescuers.

“Saw your flare, thought you could use a hand,” Betty laughed.  “However, our car is now clogged with all that dust; it looks like we’re all stuck in the middle of nowhere.”

“On it,” Larry replied, strolling over to the car. Cartouche eyed Betty’s companion with unease.  Yup, they were on our side alright.  Betty walked over to me and slapped me on the back.

“Well kid, tell me, what does a skinny thing like you bring to the cause?”

“Well that um … that’s kind of personal …” I muttered.  I looked over to Betty’s companion.  Where Betty was talkative and outgoing, her friend was quiet and shy.  The woman had big, beautiful brown eyes, and long, raven-black hair.  She looked to Cartouche and spoke for the first time.

“Do I know you?”  Her voice was strong, but soft spoken.  Cartouche was about to say something when Larry pulled up with the car and handed the keys to Betty.

“Boom Box Betty I presume; my name is Larry, this is my cousin Luke, and I believe that err … delicate flower over there is Cartouche.”

“I know her, I’ve got a coupla’ scars from her alright.” Betty took the keys and motioned everyone into the car.  It was a tight fit.  I was crammed in the back between Cartouche and the woman without a name.  We drove away as fast as we could.

“She’ll run about twenty miles per hour faster now; I made some modifications when I was tinkering around,” Larry said.  My stomach churned, the burgers from earlier were still making me queasy.  Betty nodded as she sped through the desert.

“I’ll take the complicated way home.  I have no desire to run into the Elite again.  Killed my crew and damn near killed me back in 2008.”

“Who are the Elite?” I asked.  There was silence in the car and the raven-haired woman sitting next to me seemed to be the only other person who didn’t know.  Betty broke the silence.

“People with abilities, that’s all we really are.  It ain’t like the comics.  We’re not simply villains or heroes.  There were differences in opinion about when we could use our strengths for personal gains or not.  Factions formed, as you know.  Even though we claim to be two sides, most of us have dabbled in self-gain at some point.  There are times when using your powers to your advantage isn’t a bad thing.”

“Not at all, got me a garage of classic cars back home.” Larry grinned.

“Exactly, Larry can fix any car he wants, so with his powers he can restore a hot rod which would have never run again, but he doesn’t hurt anyone using that power.”  Betty snapped her fingers and an infectiously upbeat song began to play.  “Myself, I control sound; I adjust the frequencies of pitch allowing people with tonal hearing loss to hear.  I also use my power to have the best tunes to groove to whenever I want, which I guess some would consider the ultimate act of music piracy.”

“You’re Lars Ulrich’s worst nightmare?”

“Nah, I wouldn’t play that crap,” she smirked, “The point is you can dabble in a little self-gain without causing any harm.  Knowing when to quit is the problem.”  Her tone changed slightly, “The Elite didn’t believe in boundaries, in any boundaries.  They think of our kind as gods to rule over the mere mortals of this Earth.  Ordinary people don’t know they exist; their minds and memories are altered.  The head circle of the Elite is mostly composed of Psychics.  They’re very rich and very dangerous.”  Betty glanced to the back seat.

“I found Sonali wandering in the desert a few years back.  She didn’t know a damn thing, just like a baby.  I took her in and helped her rehabilitate.  I am certain they did something to her.  She’s been indispensable to me ever since.”

I turned and looked to Sonali.  She was gazing out of the window silently.  I barely tapped her shoulder to get her attention.  She flinched then looked to me.

“Are you alright?”  I asked softly, she was definitely beautiful.

“I’m fine. Betty just likes to hear her own voice.”  Sonali let out a hint of a smile.

“Don’t let her fool you boy, Sonali there is a real firecracker.  She acts demure an’ dainty, but damn, this girl has the worst temper I’ve ever seen.  It’s all beneath the surface.  She’s a multi, very useful.”

“A multi?”

“Most of us have one general skill.  Sonali here manifests almost every skill there is.  Unfortunately, her amnesia makes her a bit on the slow side at times.  We’re always discovering something new she can do, just takes time.”  Betty swerved off of the road and continued along a rickety trail.  The car bounced up and down as we drove.  “Sonali and I, we’re the Saintly Sirens, protectors of these parts.  So, what is your group?”

Larry went on to explain how we came to work for Linus and wound up patrolling most of the Midwest.  He then described how we expanded our patrol region until we were gone for days at a time.  The sun was getting lower in the sky.  After driving around in the dark for about an hour, we pulled up to a small trailer.  It was freezing cold now that night had fallen.  Sonali handed me a jacket without saying anything.  We ushered into the trailer.  Seated at the kitchen table was a lean man with thick glasses.  His brown hair came down to his eyes.  His chin sported light stubble, uncharacteristic of him.  His feet were propped up on the table.

“Well, well, well, Boom Box Betty.”  He chortled.


“Linus, get yer feet off of my table you stupid son of a bitch.”  Betty growled. 




No comments:

Post a Comment