Project Wonderful Sponser

Friday, July 10, 2015

Chapter 4: Boss

or

Sonali:


Betty engaged in a shouting match (well, she was shouting, he wasn’t) with the stranger at our kitchen table.  Linus was just as Larry had described.  Larry had referred to Linus as being one of the most infuriating men ever.  Linus let out a soundless laugh when Betty grilled him on picking the lock to the door.  He looked up to me with his green eyes and stared for a moment.  I froze where I stood.  I was unaccustomed to people looking at me that way.  I shied behind Luke, I didn’t know why, I just did.  My heart was beating fast and it felt uncomfortable to breathe.

“Good to know people still hide from me,” Linus grumbled.  Betty groaned and sauntered over to the fridge.
            
“I’d offer ya a drink but you probably already got one.”
          
“Actually, I was waiting on your kind offer,” Linus said.  Cartouche had made her way into the room.  She growled at Linus.  Linus only shrugged.  Larry and Luke turned to the man they called boss.
           
“What was that about?”
            
“Oh, Cartouche possesses a photographic memory, so naturally she remembers.  It’s between me and her though.”
            
“You have got to be kidding me!” Cartouche shouted.  I shied behind Luke once more.
            
“We saved your life back there,” Linus interjected calmly, “Let bygones be bygones.”
            
“Larry, can we go home pretty please?” Luke whimpered.  Larry shook his head.
            
“HEY!”  Larry called out; the small trailer was packed beyond comfort.  “Everybody sit down,” he said.  Linus gave him an icy glare; clearly Linus was the boss of the group.  Larry looked to Betty, “Natural Light for me if you have it, if not, PBR will hit the spot.”
            
“I’ll have a bottle of water,” Cartouche replied as she and I had somehow settled next to one another at the table.  There was something familiar about her, but my mind was still a blank.  Did I actually know her?  Did she just happen to look familiar?
            
“I’ll have a coke,” I replied softly.  Luke smiled at me, sitting on my other side.
            
“I’ll take a coke too, that sounds good.”  He shook some of the dirt, from the earlier run-in with the elementals, out of his hair.
            
Before we knew it, we were sitting around the table, albeit mostly in folding chairs, like some mismatched family.  At first there was silence, something alien to our house because Betty hated silence.  Then there was a sound of a bug hitting the zapper outside.
            
“Today’s confrontation was too close for comfort.”  Linus spoke.  He looked to Larry and then to Luke with genuine concern.  His eyes passed by me briefly, I looked at the table.  “I am in your debt Betty, you and your friend…”
            
“Sonali,” I said softly.
            
“They were lucky they only ran into the sentinels and elementals at that.”  Linus nursed his drink.  I had gone through two cokes, Cartouche a few bottles of water, but Linus was not interested in his refreshment.
            
“Lucky?  They almost killed us; the Grand Am is gone!”  Luke protested.
            
“Why were you driving that hunk of junk anyway kiddo?”  Betty asked, turning to Larry.
            
“Ah, well, I’m of humble means.  If I drove one of the beauties out it would draw too much attention.  Besides, I think a Pontiac fits my personality well.”
            
“Yes, god-forbid we ruin your perfect white-trash image,” Linus quipped.
            
“Well aren’t you nice?”  I didn’t know what had come over me.  The words just sort of blurted out.  That’s how I was, silently brooding underneath the surface till I snapped.  Linus was vexed, but he made no retort.
            
“Look, I’m sorry I caused you so much trouble,” Cartouche sighed.  Larry put his hand on her shoulder.
            
“Don’t listen to Boss; he’s never been good with people.  And Cuz, well, Luke’s the biggest wimp.”  Larry gave Cartouche a comforting smile, “Where I come from,” he glared at Linus, “and in Missouri we’re proud of being ‘White Trash’,” he turned his eyes back to Cartouche, “Back home we don’t leave helpless people behind.”
            
“So what did happen to you honey?”  Betty cut in.
            
“I pissed off Gable,” Cartouche stated.  Betty and Linus exchanged a look.  I turned to Luke, who shared my lack of comprehension.
            
“Who is Gable?”  I asked.  Linus looked to me with indignation.  He just stared for a moment as though “stupid” was written on my forehead in permanent marker.  Outside another bug hit the zapper.  Linus sighed and picked up his drink, taking a sip.
            
“Gable is the second in command of the Elite, if one could say Methuselah hasn’t lost control.”  Linus shook his head, knowing something I was oblivious to.
            
“Gable is the most charming snake you’ll ever meet,” Betty said with a sigh, “but he has a very strong ability and uses it for personal gain.”
            
“Oh?”  Luke chimed in.
            
“Gable is a master of suggestion,” Linus explained, “Whenever our side has gone against him, people have been killed by their own allies under his influence.”
            
“So the question is, how you, sweetie, could have possibly disobeyed his orders?”  Betty’s attention was back to Cartouche.
            
“It is not impossible to go against what he tells you to do,” Cartouche said somberly, “but to do so comes at a grave price.”
            
“Gentlemen…” Betty said darkly to Linus and his crew.  “Could you please leave the room?  Sonali and I need to talk to Cartouche in private.”  After some protest they walked outside.  I looked to Betty and realized what she must be thinking.  Betty reached across the table and laid her hand gently on top of Cartouche’s.
            
“Do you need a rape kit?”  Betty had a gift for breaching difficult topics with honesty and tact.
            
“No.”  Cartouche said, “Thankfully, no.” She closed her eyes, tears falling down her cheeks.  “They did everything but that.”
            
“Thank God,” Betty said kindly.  “It’s ok; you’re here with us now.  The Sirens take care of their own.”
            
“Betty is right,” I smiled reassuringly, “I found myself alone, I didn’t know anything.  But Betty took me in, and she took care of me.  She is a bit rough around the edges, but this place,” I gestured to our trailer, “It is a good home, even as small as it is.”  I reached out and took Cartouche’s free hand and squeezed it lightly.  Cartouche looked to me and smiled.
            
“You were never this nice to me before Sabrina.”
            
“Sabrina?” I asked when the door flipped open.

            
“Cartouche we need your strength!”  Linus called into the room.  We turned to look out the door to see the source of the commotion.  Larry was on the ground outside.  “Somebody should have told me he took a blow to the head earlier!”


No comments:

Post a Comment